MaestroKen's Blog

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Questions from Wacy

Tell us, your faithful readers, your top fives of: (Ken says: I will do all these in no particular order)
-Wrestlers

Eh this changes daily, but I’ll do old school and current just because it’s easier to separate them. I’ll also save current WWE people for other people with questions to ask.

Old School
1. Sting – I had the pink fluorescent shirt and hat and shit back in the day, I’m like that.
2. Ricky Steamboat – I was at Chi-Town Rumble for the first of his 89 series against Ric Flair and I still giggle about the fact that my Mom kept errantly calling him Ricky “The Steamboat” Dragon
3. Animal – Me and my buddy Kevin Mehok were big Road Warriors marks and since I was two years older and bigger, I was Animal and he was Hawk
4. Ric Flair – I always dug him, and always will.
5. Scott Steiner – Back before the transformation he was the greatest thing in wrestling to me.

Currently
1. Chris Hero – I’ve always dug him especially since Preacher Ian Rotten has indoctorinated him into my thoughts as my wrestling god. But this current run and storyline they are working him with in Highland is showing me sooo much more of him and I love it.
2. Colt Cabana – I’m all about having fun while doing whatever it is that you do. Colt is the king of this. He’s fun loving and still good at what he does.
3. Arik Cannon – Along the same lines with what I said about Hero, the feud these two having going with each other right now is my favorite thing going in wrestling today.
4. CM Punk – The gimmick is what got me started digging him, it was just the perfect heel role, and then the work has kept me a fan. He’s good
5. Homicide – He’s just been on a tear lately and every time I see him I know I’m going to enjoy the next twenty minutes or so of my existence.

-Bands
Flogging Molly
The Kissers
Sublime
The Vandals
Suicide Machines

-Albums
The Vandals – Hitler Bad, Vandals Good
Suicide Machines – Destruction by Definition
A Tribe Called Quest – The Low End Theory
Cypress Hill – Self-Titled
Sublime – 40 oz. to Freedom

-Video Games (I’m not too into video games anymore)
GTA3
GTA:Vice City
The Legend of Zelda
Parappa The Rappa
You Don’t Know Jack

-Movies
Office Space
Swingers
Army of Darkness
Breakfast Club
Chasing Amy

-TV shows
Raw
Smackdown!
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Simpsons
Seinfeld

-Actors/Actresses (eh, I don’t rate actors and or actresses really, but here’s a shot)
Vince Vaughn
Bruce Campbell
Phil Hartman
Kirsten Dunst
I don’t know, I’ll never choose to see a movie because someone is in it, but I won’t see some with other people in it.


I, as a college sophmore, am just beginning my time at what some
people remember as some of the greatest years of their lives. How do
you remember your college years? Anything especially memorable?

Looking back I remember there being lots of routine. You have your schedule of classes, of course that is routine. But being someone that was always at the bars (College town life, something sadly missing from the NYU experience) Due to the specials the bars had, and things happening certain nights at certain places you really ended up with a routine. Here’s Thursdays for my Senior year:
Class at 10:30, stop at the Chinese place with the cheap Thursday lunch, take it home eat it, while watching the second half of a Sportcenter. Watch the first half of the following Sportcenter. Go to class. Hang in the Union for an hour with Mike and Chris (buddies made Freshmen year on the same floor of our dorm, who had the same major). Go to class with them. Go home. Start drinking and play Madden with Dave for two hours, make Dinner when he left for work. Play Madden for an hour with Doug when he came home from class. Watch Friends. Take a shower, and prep for going out. Watch Seinfeld. Watch Swingers. Go to Wazoos for a few drinks with Devin, since he was working there. Go to T. A. Toms for Penny Beer Night. Come home and either watch Swingers or go to bed. Every Thursday for a year. So I had fun, and I loved the routine. And I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

We know that you work in accounting. Or, at least, most of us do.
Tell us a little bit about a typical work day for you. What do you,
as an accountant (is that even your job title?), do in any given day
of work?

Well I get to work early, because beating the traffic in is much better than sitting in it. My title is actually Controller. I pretty much do all the accounting for Anchor Mortgage Corporation. I deposit all money that comes in. I pay all the bills. I watch and keep track of the bank accounts. I pretty much do anything money in or out wise for the company.


You've been to many wrestling events, and seen many great matches
live, undoubtedly. What would you say is your favorite live wrestling
moment that you have experienced?

Well I was at the first of the three famous big 1989 Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat matches at Chi-Town Rumble. At my first show I was ever taken to with my uncle I saw Dynamite Kid press slam (yep that’s not a typo) King Kong Bundy. I saw the Buried Alive Match between Mankind and The Undertaker. (The lightning wasn’t really in the arena, when Taker’s hand came out of the grave.) But I’d have to say my favorite moment was at an IWA show. When unannounced Tracy Smothers showed up. He was supposed to be at two of the earlier IWA-Highland shows, and missed one, and had a car wreck on his way to another. CK3 was playing cocky heel on the mic, talking about he was the greatest technical wrestler in the world, and how he was much cooler than all the blood and guts and flippity floppity floo guys in IWA. This had the rest of the crowd booing, but had him as an instant face in my book until…”If the South Woulda Won” by Hank Williams came over the speakers. I instantly jump up and freak out. I’m hyped I’m finally seeing my boy Tracy Smothers, and no one else is moving. No one else recognized the music, and I look around at all these faces staring at me like I’m an idiot. I’m just hyped and yelling “C’mon it’s Tracy! Get Up” and nobody moved. Then Tracy came out of the door, and everyone recognized him, and all was right with the world. So even though the moment had little to do with the actual wrestling, that is my favorite live experience. I don’t have the tape of that show, but I know I was on the hard camera angle for it, so I would like to see that show.

What do each of your tattoos mean to you?

Eh neither have any real meaning, if people ask me about the monkeys I tell them some bullshit story that it’s so I never grow up and I always have my toys with me, but that’s not true, because I came up with that later as an answer to that question. I really don’t know I just always liked the ideas of them. I had both of them in mind for years before actually getting the tattoo, which is the rule I tell everyone to follow, so you don’t end up with shitty ink you’re stuck with for the rest of your life that you regret. Eh, someone at work got me a Barrel of Monkeys and it became like a little gimmick for me. I loved elephants ever since my Dad showed me how to draw an elephant from behind as a kid, they’ve always been my favorite animal, throw them together with my three favorite colors (All of which had been favorites at one time or another) and that’s the elephants. Actually getting the elephants was a spur of the moment thing, when I passed a shop at Purdue when I went down to visit for the weekend, there was nothing going on until later that night, so I just got it. Then the Monkey's were a birthday (or maybe anniversary, but I'm pretty sure birthday) present from Sara.

We know the story of your joining ITVR. Your lurking, and then
finally revealing yourself to be some guy who wasn't the Stro. Tell
us a bit about how exactly you found ITVR. What were your first
thoughts when you found our little community? Why did you make the
decision to lurk for so long?

I found ITVR after I was wondering where all my favorite posters from the CRZ EZBoard went. I posted a few times, but was pretty much a lurker over there too, so I just continued on with the lurking. With all the eliteness and in-jokes y’all can be intimidating too, until you get to know ya. But y’all were funny, and intelligent in your wrestling critiquing and that’s enough to keep me reading.

If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, or one type of
casserole to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I couldn’t eat one food or one casserole forever. I vary it up too much, I never make the same one twice. Even if I use the same ingredients in the casserole, different spices and/or sauces are used. I’d probably keep my current schedule of on Monday and Wednesday either making something Thai or a casserole. Tuesday and Thursday having the leftovers. Then on Friday having some sort of Meat/Chicken w Pasta/Rice/Potato and Vegi Plan that I’m on pretty much now.

You've told the story about how having diabetes has led to forced new
eating habits and such. But how did you feel when you first found
out? Has it changed the way you look at things at all?

Eh, that combined with the forthcoming trip to Maine with Sara’s parents quickened my quitting of smoking. At first it freaked me out, and I bought everything sugar free under the sun. Then I found out through reading and learning about it, that actually to a diabetic, sugars are good for you, you just have to eat them at the right time, and at the right proportion. A diabetic will not die from eating something with sugar, but will die if he doesn’t get any, and that’s something not many people outside of those with knowledge from diabetics know about. The only thing I hate about it is because I have to regulate, and eat at regular intervals, the weight I was losing at a rapid pace got gained back on quickly due to my totally reworking my eating schedules and how I eat. Finally I’ve started losing weight again, and I can just be chunky instead of FATASS in the next coming months.

Bush or Kerry? Disregard any Republican allegiances when answering
this question, you dirty Republican.

Sadly I hate talking about things like this because I find that I don’t have the tolerance to listen to all sources of knowledge to get a full blown view of everything. All I know is I don’t like either as a good representative for their party. See I weigh everything in politics due to importance I feel the issue has. And I personally (surprise as an accountant) think fiscal issues are the most important. I’m very conservative in that nature. My fiscal conservatism leads me towards the like minded thinking of many republicans. But for most everything else I’m pretty much libertarian. Socially everybody can do anything they want as long as it doesn’t cost my tax dollars.

How did you first discover the wonderful world of indy wrestling?
Reading Confederate Mack over at DVDVR. I had heard of this Tracy Smothers riot, but he uses such beautiful southern metaphors for things he made the riot sound like a thing of beauty. He made it sound so splendid I had to see it and the order was places with Smart Mark Video.
Which was the first indy fed you watched?
IWA became the thing to watch for me, and the tape trading began.
What first struck you about the indies?
The thing I loved was I always was a big fan of Bret Hart and early Scott Steiner, so I dug the more technical side of wrestling. And here it was blended with the southern styles I grew to love watching WCCW, NWA, and UWF back as a kid. It was glorious.

Jimmy Jacobs or Alex Shelley?
Alex Shelley. He’s flat out phenomenal and is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch grow as a wrestler. I’m infactuated by the guys that can blend the wacky European work with standard US Indy work, and it’s one of my favorite styles to enjoy, thus my full out marking lately for Nigel McGuiness, Alex Shelley, & Chris Hero.
Subquestion: HUSS, or Say Anything/Fraggle Rock?
As for the old BH/AH (Before HUSS/After HUSS.) Although the HUSS was fun, it really limited Jimmy and he was forced to do the HUSS spots all the time, now he can go and show how much he’s grown as a wrestler without having people just focus on the gimmick.

What is Brew going to do when he finds out he's not really married to Trish?
Ignore it probably, I mean we’ve been telling him for years, but has he acknowledged us? NO.

Why is the sky blue?
The Sky is Blue? Or Is It?

When will I find a girl who can appreciate the awesomeness of
professional wrestling?

If you do she’ll just be a rat. Be happy if you can find a girl that can tolerate your love of wrestling. That’s the best you can hope for and have the girl still be worth dating. I mean there’s a reason why all girl fans love Jeff Hardy.

Are you Rivers Cuomo?
No, but people can pretend I am, I don’t mind.

When will I find time to post on The Wacy Bo-ard?
Eh, apparently we have Snooge’s to play with all we want now.

I can't think of any more questions, but thank you for your time.
No thank you for asking me these questions.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home