Friday I was supposed to show my house to some people, but for the second time in as many showings, noone ever showed up. That gets old pretty quick, so I’m going to have it set up so that I don’t need to be at the house for showings, so I don’t wait around forever for people not to show anymore. Then went and caught the second set of The Kissers performing in some bar up by Deerfield. Kind of strange show since I think we were the only people there to see the band, the rest of the place was just regulars of the bar that would have been there band or no. They ended up just playing mostly covers and only a couple of originals, definitely a different show, especially since the mandolin player wasn’t there.
Saturday had some Lox & Bagels for breakfast, YUM, then went off to see the first of three very different wrestling shows on the weekend. This was an outdoor show in a South Side Church’s parking lot. The premise of this group is to act out bible stories in the ring. Saturday’s show was the stories of Peter and Paul. Some of the matches included Steven vs. Doubt w/ his manager Fear; A Triple Threat of Paul vs. His Good conscience (Ben Redeemed) vs. his bad conscience (Bad Intentions); and the Main Event with Peter, Paul, & Jesus coming out on top of a tag team match. It was a good family oriented show that seemed to get over well with the kids. For $2.50, you can’t complain about two hours of perfectly fine wrestling action geared towards the kids. After that went on to the more high end wrestling styles of the IWA show. I might do a write up of that later highly fun. I’m glad I didn’t build up the Hero vs. Dragon match too much going in, because although solid, it wasn’t as good as most expected. But I’ll talk about that in the review if it happens.
Sunday had the rest of the Lox & Bagels then made the rounds of picking up everyone for the Tools show. After making the rounds, Phil started not feeling good so sadly we took him back home and forged forth to the Great White North known as Round Lake Park, IL. A one horse town that makes DeMotte look like a Metropolis. Sometime during this, I notice that apparently someone hit my car, and my passenger door doesn’t shut all the way. The third wrestling show of the weekend was a jokey, gimmicky show that was being put on by Joey (1 Man Orgy) as a goodbye present for his best friend Joe Herro, who is moving away to Arizona next week. They’ve always had a great sense of humor, and been advocates for having fun at wrestling shows. This was a joke card made by them that was to be a just go and have a fun time show. The show was taking place during this town’s little festival so there was lots of vendors and shops to take a gander at before the show, there was also the Indy Wrestling Flea Market; where a couple people selling stuff were selling off Tapes and Merch, and things like that. I picked up 3 tapes of TonyF, and picked up about 8 two-tape grab bags off the dollar table. I’ve only opened one of the grab bags, but I got a SummerSlam master and a Sports Bloopers tape, so who knows what else it’ll bring. I also got the old GI Joe style CM Punk shirt for a buck as well. The show was a good time. Highlights included the Atta-Dudes of AC Morris, and Zack Slater with Jesse Kapowski (all wearing Buddy Bands!!!) and after the match Zack said “Time out” and took a moment to talk to the fans while everyone was frozen. A Midget Ring Announcer. Joe Herro promoting, and spending the entire show wearing a Superman Costume. Steve Stone as a Mormon in a mormon hardcore match featuring felt as lighttubes, paper clips as thumbtacks, and a dildo as the finishing weapon (not flaming unfortunately).
After the show the bar that the event took place at had karaoke, and before we took off, we got to hear Carmine DeSpirito sing Frank Sinatra. Good time at the show, dropped everyone off, and then went to bed.
5 Comments:
Jesus wrestling?
You gotta be kidding.
By
Jon M., at 8:24 PM
No straight up serious
Preview of the show: http://www.chicagowrestling.com/AL/WordBookIIIdetails.htm
Results of the show: http://chicagowrestlin.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=chicago&action=display&num=1093373413
(including pics, one of me at the show)
Here's two threads w/ pics of the Tools show too.
http://chicagowrestlin.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=chicago&action=display&num=1093239214
http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=18666
By
Maestroken, at 8:58 AM
Heh. Would have liked to see a pic of "Jesus". I did see you in that picture. (Someone called you a dork on the Chicago wrestling board. Someone you know?)
By
Jon M., at 4:15 PM
I don't know if that was sarcastic or not, since that someone that called me a dorkass was myself. :)
Sadly she ran out of film before Jesus, came out but he was a tall skinny black guy. Sadly I can't find any pictures of him.
By
Maestroken, at 4:24 PM
MARK
-) = Leela smiley
By
Chris, at 10:44 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home