MaestroKen's Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Show Report IWA-MS 05/08/04 Meeting of the Minds

IWA-MS 05/08/04 A Meeting of the Minds.

Here’s a quick run-through of the event, as opposed to a full out narrative that I normally do, lets see how this works in comparison. If you are someone that actually reads my normal long-ass show reports, let me know if you like this shorter format better.

Results and times and results stolen (and some results changed) from Larry Sternshein at ChicagoWrestling.com

Opening 20 Minute interview.
Ian comes out and pimps the Tag Tournament (05/29) show and also the Women’s Tournament (05/30) show. (Since they both are on a busy Memorial Day weekend I can only go to one, so I chose the ladies tournament.) He then lets everyone know that this is the last year for the King of the Deathmatch Tournament. He points out how he’s been moving away from the stigma of a hardcore fed, and that it’s harder and harder to top every year. It’s going to be hard to top last years show, but he promises to do it. He says you can’t keep increasing the levels without someone actually dying, so he wants to end it now. Then he talks about how the Havana Pitbulls were supposed to be managed by Bobby Heenan tonight, but then he talks about how they (and Puma) received opportunities in Japan, so they couldn’t show which led to The Ring Crew Express~! coming out to Van Halen’s Jump. Ian asked if they made a habit of traveling many hours to go to shows they’re not booked on. They responded with “Yes it’s the We’re Not Gonna Take It Tour 2004.” They say they’ll take on Boz & Bradley in the Tag Tournament Qualifier later on in the show. And they leave. Then the major announcement came. IWA-MS has joined in with the NWA. Ian said this will lead to a more in-ring rules. Also, this will be leading to more people being brought into, and being showcased from the Fed. We’ll see how all this works out.

Trik Davis b. Murat Bosporus in 4:17 with the Crucifix
Trik has the goods, but he’s only been allowed to show either his heart, or his ass in IWA. I hear he’s been working well on the chain wrestling in other feds, I’d love to see him get to show it on the larger stage in IWA. The Turkish Bosporus seemed decent in what little he was allowed to show in this short little opener.

Angel Williams b. ODB in 7:06 with a Flatliner
Angel is all pretty and stuff, ODB is too. Angel seemed a touch tentative in there. Not on par with most of the ladies matches IWA has been bringing out lately, I blame that on the fact that Angel is from Ontario, Canadia.

Chad Collyer b. Frankie the Face in 10:12 with a texas cloverleaf
I missed the beginning of this. Good solid technical match. Yes, I know big surprise with Collyer in there. Frankie held up his fair share as well though. Plus Frankie’s Heel Tactics are a nice old school touch, but then again it was outshined by the kings of heel heat in the next match.

Hennan was brought out here to a standing ovation. He talked about starting out in Indies in Indiana, and how he’s back to give back to that. Crowd ate up everything he said, especially when as soon as he was given a mic, someone yelled something, so Bobby asked him to come into the ring, since it was apparently his show, and he needs to be heard by everybody. It was nice.

Wildcards and Ian Rotten / Steve Stone qualified for the tag tournament over Nate Webb / Eddie Venom and Jigsaw / Icarus in 21:37
This was a four team elimination match that the final two teams were admitted into the Tag Tourney on 05/28. Kings of Heel Heat the Wildcards had the crowd hating them from the moment they walked out the door like always. They just get the crowd riled up instantly, they’re awesome at it. (As is evidenced by the video available for download on the mainpage of SmartMarkVideo.com where a kid runs up and punches Kingston in the balls because he demasked a guy.) Match started with a chopfest as almost all the men took turns getting in the ring chopping each other to see who could do it the hardest. Stoney, Venom, and Kingston were the loudest. Interesting spot included Ian getting the tarantula, and then Nate jumped on and put a submission on Ian, then Icarus, then Kingston, etc. until everyone had a submission on. Jigsaw and Icarus were eliminated first and then Ian got Venom (I believe) rolled up for a pin to win it.

Danny Daniels b. Jimmy Jacobs in 15:57 with a tombstone after hitting Jacobs with a chain

This match isn’t really standing out in my head. Nothing stood out as good or bad. Just the usual decent match for these two.

Carmine Despirito (Manager of Boz & Bradley, who accompany him, is the other mind that is to be “Meeting” Bobby Hennan’s in the tag match the show was named after) comes out and asks for Heenan to come out. Carmine tells Heenan about modeling his managing after the Brain, and basically sucks up to him a bit. Carmine then invites Bobby out to dinner at Morton’s in Chicago and it’s accepted, Ian’s pissed because he brought Heenan here to manage against Carmine not to leave with him for dinner. Bobby never turns down a meal though, so the managers leave together. This leads me to believe that since they have no manager Boz & Bradley will lose in their qualifying match for the Tournament again. (They lost last month too) If they lose they have to break up as a team forever too.

Samoa Joe killed Arik Cannon in 10:05 with an enziguri
Joe was Joe and destroyed Cannon. Cannon was able to take the beating well, and even gave some back decently. But Joe was just brutal ass Joe here. MOTNC

Petey Williams b. Nigel McGuinness in 14:19 with his front flip piledriver
This was match three in their little mini-face/face feud. Every time I see Nigel, and his wacky-ass Johnny Saint style I dig him more and more. He even busted out the Ultimo Dragon turnbuckle headstand. These two both have styles that blend well and the matches are great. MOTNC

Boz / Bradley b. Dunn and Marcos in 8:10 with their double horse collar into a swinging face-plant
Basically a squash for the big men, but the Ring Crew Express are kings at making their opponents look great. I assume since they won, that apparently Brain & Carmine going to dinner was a way of getting Bobby out of his promised role of being a manager.

Matt Sydal b. Red in 17:06 by catching Red mid move and dropping him on his head, turning it into a pinning move
Even our beloved Thumbtack Matt Sydal can’t get a good match out of Red. You’d think while Red was out hurt, he’d work on thinking of transitions and psychology, since he was thought of as a Spot Monkey before. Well since he’s back from injury, he’s less spotty, which is good, but he didn’t improve anywhere else. So instead of being a spot monkey, he’s just a shitty ball of suck.


Homicide b. Chris Hero in 21:17 with the Cop Killa
Not as good as their King of the Deathmatch match, I’ve finally gotten to see Homicide twice, and I don’t know what it is, but he’s not as impressive live, as I’d hoped. I love watching most of his matches on tape, but sadly he hasn’t delivered live. I can’t explain it. Hopefully it’s just these two instances, since I really dig Homicide.

BJ Whitmer b. B Boy in 18:31 with a top rope Exploder
BJ is very good at protecting workers. He works well, but it shows sometimes that he’s being soft. I think that might be why I’ve always disliked Whitmer’s lesser matches. I’ve always said when he’s on he’s on, and when he’s not, he’s REALLY not.
Well I think the matches where he’s on it’s when he really lays it in and isn’t afraid to go all out with strikes and the such. He was working soft here, so it wasn’t as good. The crowd audibly was groaning at many of Whitmer’s strikes. Homicide came out as B-Boy’s second since they are tag partners in the tournament.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home